Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Frittatas Mini

I like the idea of bite sized anything-- firstly, I think it's adorable, and secondly I think it makes me feel better about eating any number of things! Of course, it always helps to have kids around, so I tried out the FamilyFun recipe for mini frittatas when our goddaughter was over last weekend...


We didn't have a lot in the fridge because I'd neglected to defrost... everything! So, I had my four eggs, some cheese, red and green bell peppers, and salt and pepper. Of course, when I went to cook, I discovered that my husband had put the bell peppers in the freezer without bagging them first...


I decided to let them thaw a little bit and go ahead and use them-- good news, they still tasted alright!

First, I whisked the eggs with some 2% milk, then added the salt and pepper:



Then I poured it in to the molds-- we got about 8 frittatas out of four eggs-- you can see in the first one that I over poured, so the rest got filled up to about half way full before toppings got added in.


I broke the cheese up in to bits since we didn't have shredded cheese, but it wasn't nearly as cheesy as I thought it was going to be-- next time, loads of cheese! CHEESE!


Fresh from the oven, they're lookin' good!


I was really pleased with the way this turned out-- the FamilyFun site didn't show a finished picture, which I think was pretty nice of them, but I'd like to think this is a little what it looks like when done properly! They were a hit with our goddaughter, and even with my husband (who mocks my love of bite sized food) in spite of the fact that they were "just a tease" in the breakfast department. Not my fault you ran 8 miles!

Of course, because if y'all know nothing else about me it's that I don't plan ahead!, I didn't read the step where you're supposed to spray the muffin tins so the end result was...


Well, just in case you didn't believe that eggs are used as a binding agent, it's true.

Materials Used: eggs, peppers, cheese, milk, salt, pepper, and PAM or BUTTER. You know, depending on how fat you're feeling that day...
Cost: inexpensive-- you get a lot of bang for your buck with this one
Conclusion: Super easy, totally worth it, and I'm hoping to use this at a brunch we're doing soonish and add in things like bacon, chicken sausage, and fresh hot peppers in addition to the sweet ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment